|Berlin was incorporated as a township on April 11, 1910, from portions of Waterford Township. Portions of the township were taken on March 29, 1927, to form Berlin Borough, based on the results of a referendum held on April 26, 1927.[
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,290 people, 1,893 households, and 1,368 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,628.9 people per square mile (628.5/km²). There were 2,009 housing units at an average density of 618.6/sq mi (238.7/km²)
There were 1,893 households out of which 34.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.1% were married couples living together, 12.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.7% were non-families. 22.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.28.
The median income for a household in the township was $54,448, and the median income for a family was $61,042. Males had a median income of $37,240 versus $28,703 for females. The per capita income for the township was $22,178. About 4.8% of families and 5.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.6% of those under age 18 and 6.7% of those age 65 or over.
On November 7, 2006 our Municipal Building sustained severe structural damage that forced the closure of the building permanently. It appears that the structural damage is a result of old age and deterioration that forced a portion of the main structural beam to collapse and fall into the building. As a result of this incident a structural analysis of the building was preformed by our Construction Code Official and Registered Professional Engineers.
From November 7, 2006 until April 12,2010 The offices were located in a series of temporary housing consisting of trailers, the senior building and a neighboring house to the old building. These offices were spread around that town at two locations. The Clerk's,Tax, Construction, Zoning, Finance, and Mayor's office were located at 170 Bate Avenue, and the Police and Court were located at 240 Pine avenue.
As of April 12, 2010 the Township officially combine all their offices excluding public works (now only a few blocks away instead of across town) in what is now the current municipal building located at 135 Route 73 South.